Welcome to my AS Media Studies Blog

Saturday 24 January 2009

Group Treatment: Cinematography - Chris Kenworthy (myself)

· For exterior shots, I was thinking that since the first shot is going to be of a package full of money clenched in a hand, maybe some sort of close up should be used on the package in the hand. A normal close up might be a bit far away, so I’m more likely to use a big close-up or even an extreme close-up on the hand and package.

· Again, I was thinking of maybe a close up of the package on the ground after it has been dropped and is still in a hand. It would look obvious that the person’s hand is on the ground because of the foliage in our chosen location, so a medium close-up would be best.

· A medium close-up shot of the package as a shadow passes over it. If the shot is framed nicely and nothing is moved between shots, then maybe it would seem like the same shot - the shot of the package on the ground, and the next shot where the shadow passes over it.

· Medium shots, Wide shots and Close-ups are probably going to be the main shots used in the production. Of course, when filming this on-set in our locations both inside and outside, as a group we will probably discuss the shots whilst practicing them and make final decisions there and then, so most of the ideas I have may change to different shots on-screen, which will be down to different perspectives of the same shots.

· Also there is a shot of my eyes “wearing a panicked expression” at the beginning, so an extreme close-up will probably be the best type of shot to use. Fellow group members will act as assistant cameramen/women when I am needed in front of the camera.

· Maybe a change in the focus, between the background and the foreground, though looking at our ideas and script I don’t quite know where we could include this kind of detail.

· The use of Dutch Tilts in my “Exchange” project before Christmas received a lot of positive feedback from the rest of the students in my AS Media lecture when it was screened, so I shall aim to reuse Dutch Tilts in a similar fashion.

· On the interior shots, I’m going to be acting so I shall have to tell my crew what shots I will require, and whilst on-set maybe they can show me the framing before we film each shot. I shall also oversee the shots as the director of the production both in front of the camera and behind, on both locations. Especially the interior location, since we’re planning on using the Media Studio where we can adapt the lighting and position of props to our liking.

· I shall be acting in the interior location, so my assistant camera crew will be filming the shots. I will have set it up and all they will need to do is press the Record button on/off. If one of them wants to adjust the exposure or aperture on the camera then I can do it, since I’m very confident about altering the settings on any camera that I will use or have already used, both in Media Studies and in my private life.

· Whilst on-set, we can discuss the height, angle and framing of each shot since it is difficult to draw these small details on a storyboard.

· We will mainly be using a tripod with the camcorder, but maybe a handheld shot here and there if shots are too difficult to shoot on a tripod. Panning and tilting may be used in the exterior location as my character runs past the camera.

No comments: