Welcome to my AS Media Studies Blog

Sunday 18 January 2009

Cinematography - Research

Below are various video clips from YouTube, where I learnt basic cinematography skills. Some clips used interesting techniques.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKwdnh5jddE




Below: a look at an opening sequence (I mainly used this to give my ideas on titles and credits).
Below: in CCTV footage style. Interesting use of camera position.
Below: another opening sequence used for ideas on titles and credits.
Below: An interesting use of the camera-a tracking shot, where the lens zooms out as the camera is (physically) moved towards the characters.
Below: one of the opening sequences I analysed in detail (Fargo - 1996, Coen Brothers)
Below: a car chase scene from one of my all-time favourite films about a Driver-for-hire called "The Driver" and a cop that's out to get him. I noticed a few bad cuts in amongst the good camera positions and die-hard action, so I used this when studying the continuity in my storyboard drawings. A massive inspiration on my work.
Below: whilst looking at the (above) car chase, I found the original 1978 trailer for the film, The Driver. Again, some interesting camera positions from the film.
Below: the best car chase scene in movie history, from Bullitt (1968-with Steve McQueen), the action and camera positions, just like in The Driver, were a massive inspiration on my work.
Below: another trailer I used, from The Driver.
Below: like the opening sequence from Fargo, I used this sequence from Catch Me If You Can (stars Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio) and analysed it in more detail.
Below: though it is quite funny to watch, I found a YouTube video that uses a Tracking Shot on a LEGO figure to show the emotions on its face.

No comments: